There are LOTS of ways to be a local Street Champion! Most councils will support you or local groups with litter pickers, bags, hoops, brooms, gloves etc. With five boroughs all meeting at Crystal Palace, it can be tricky to know where to start! Many local groups already have shared equipment to help too. Street Champions can…
- Help create community gardens,
- Clearing rubbish out of alley ways, litter-picking
- Help build planters to prevent fly-tipping, greening local streets
- Help organise community clean-ups and litter picks.
- Help elderly neighbours tidy their front garden
- Cutting back overgrown hedges
- Do snow patrols to grit local paths
Local groups supporting street champions and greening projects…
- Crystal Palace Street Champs (facebook group of local action days).
- Crystal Palace Transition Town
- Friends of Westow Park
- Friends of Crystal Palace Park
- Good Gym – in Bromley, Croydon, Lambeth, Southwark and Lewisham
- Penge Green Gym
- Friends of Gipsy Hill
- Please contact email@example.com if your group also organisers litter picking and add an event at Crystal Palace Street Champs
Be a “Street Champion” in Lambeth. Very successful program supported by dedicated Veola team, including help building street planters and resolving long term issues with fly tipping.
- Lambeth Street Champions (Council web page) and contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Facebook Group – Lambeth Street Champions (discuss group for volunteers)
- Become a Lambeth snow warden
- Lambeth Winter gritting – guide (local map)
Be a “Clean & Green Street Champion” in Croydon. Provides help with litter picking and equipment.
- Croydon Street Champions (Council web page) and contact email@example.com
- Croydon Winter gritting (local map)
Be a “Street Friend” in Bromley.
- Bromley Street Friends (Council web page) and contacts for
- BIG Bromley Brush Up 2018 – Register your interest
- Bromley gritting routes, salt bin locations and our winter service.
In 2018, Lewisham requested residents who are interested in becoming ‘street champions’ and help their neighbours to create a cleaner and greener street to live in.
- Lewisham Street Champions (Council web page) and contact: Beth.firstname.lastname@example.org or Kate.email@example.com
- Lewisham Winter gritting (and local map).
No “Street Champion” programme. Funds annual community projects (that could support local community projects)
- Make a street cleaning request
- Want to Volunteer in Southwark?
- Southark Winter gritting (and local map)
- About Cleaner Greener Safer
Reporting of problems:
- Reporting Highway issues, see: http://www.cpneighbours.org/highways/
- Reporting Thames Water issues,see: http://www.cpneighbours.org/thameswater/
- Use https://www.fixmystreet.com to report local problems (but not water) and alert the council**
(** on cross border roads, then the wrong council may be notified, delaying fixes).
Any questions or suggestions? Contact cpneighbours on firstname.lastname@example.org